Friday, February 5, 2010

Boys



So today was a rough day. Crazy, not nice things between other people going on in the house that required outside help to get rid of and I have a nasty cold! Yep those 2 things made for a bad morning and then Sam had to come home from school early because he had a moment over not being the first one in line for gym ( he was having a rough day too it seems) and then he has to deal with Tommy who is use to having basically sole claim to the Wii while the other kids are at school (Cloe prefers to play with her puppies and watch barbie movies). Yah so I then go out to help my mother get some more of her stuff from out in my Garage and she hands me the book "Sunshine for the Latter-day Saints Woman's Soul". Now I have read this book before, but it has been a few years so I was looking forward to reading it again. As I settled down on the couch for a well deserved 2 minute break after breaking Sam and Tom up again I opened up the book, just to a page in the middle and this is the story that was there and oh did it make me feel better. Hope it brightens your day as well.

Boys
by Kathleen "Casey" Null

"Do you know what it means to have 3 or more sons?" asked sister Evans.
What is this, I thought, a trick question?
Sister Evans, experienced grandmother, has just spent early 2 hours sitting on a pew behind me. She couldn't have helped but notice that I have 3 sons, and a daughter who can hold her own.
"It means"- I decided to give it a try -"going through ten pounds of peanut butter a week."
"Yes, I know, but what else?" Her eyes were lit up with amusement.
"It means... always having grimy switchplates."
She smiled. "Well, granted, but what else?"
"It means learning to co-exist peacefully with a managerie of rats, birds, dogs, rabbits, fish, caterpillars, frogs, worms, and sow bugs."
"Oh..." she rolled her eyes in mock disgust, "I nearly forgot about that. But that's not quite it."
"OK. It means buying a years supply of tube socks every other month and having two sons per morning wail, 'I can't find any socks!"
"Yes I remember," she sighed, "The socks probably got up and walked away. But that's not it."
"Then it means living in a locker room atmosphere."
"Of course," she said. "But that's still not it."
"Then how about having three or more sons means never having to say, 'Help yourselves to seconds... there's plenty, you really should eat more.' "
"Well..." she sighed.
"Wait, I know, I'm probably just guessing at the wrong level. How about this? It means running a workshop to teach boys to deal with life when they go on missions and leave the nest."
"Your getting a little closer," she said impatiently.
"It means, preparing boys to hold the priesthood?"
"Is that a statement or a question?"
She didn't wait for my reply. "I'll tell you what it means. Being the parent of three or more boys means you can rest assured. If you can raise these boys you won't need to be tested any further."
Sounds fair to me.

Ah how that makes me feel better although if your one little girl that you finally had after having five boys is more of a handful than the five boys put together what does that mean then?


No comments: