Friday, December 23, 2011

Forgotten... ?

Oh now don't let the title worry you, it is not me who is forgotten.
Well, in fact we should worry.. The person I am talking about is Jesus Christ.
I respect people and their choices in religion and non religion, but I would like respect for mine as well.
Now Christmas has become more and more commercialized.
we want this and that... people competing for the best gift to give or receive.
Now I am not saying I am not one of those people.. I LOVE Shiny new toys and presents.
But what I am saying is less and less do we hear about why we celebrate this time of year.
It doesn't matter that the reason is in the name itself.
What Christ came to earth for and died for way back 2000+ years ago are the same reasons today.
He didn't do just for them.. but for us too.
I guess that is why I can't stand seeing people put up signs, or write down X-mas.
They have literally just crossed Christ out of Christmas.
Now maybe it is just me... we all know I have these crazy strong opinions,
but that seems a lot like people are disrespecting my religious beliefs, and many others too.
I also understand there are many religions that don't.
However the big difference is I am not out advertising to the whole world my lack of respect for your religion.
Maybe they don't even mean too.. how many of those that believe write down "Merry X-mas!" in your cards because you in a hurry?
Anyways, I am raising my kids to remember why we celebrate this time of year.
A few years back we had a relief society get together where they introduced me to the Little White Stocking.
How small and precious it seemed, and simple... what could be more simple.
Here is the poem that I received at that same time:

THE WHITE STOCKING

It wasn't that anyone had really been forgotten,
no children had been slighted or made unhappy and
no adult had been left unremembered.
The presents had all been distributed and all the stockings
were beautifully filled, all that is except one;
It was the stocking intended for the child of Bethlehem.
Of all the people belonging at that Christmas gathering,
only he had been forgotten.
Only he had been left out of the festivities.
This didn't seem quite right,
inasmuch as it was His birthday that was being celebrated.
This year, the little white stocking
will be hung in a special place in our home.
On Christmas Eve, we will gather the family together
And each of us will write on a piece of paper,
A gift for Jesus to be placed in the stocking.
It will remain in the stocking
Until next year's Christmas Eve,
When we will reach into the stocking
and pass out the papers from the year before.
We hope that you will enjoy beginning this
Holiday tradition in your home.

We started up this tradition that year and have done it ever since.
It reminds the kids what we celebrate the season for and to be kind to each other.
Not because you won't get your gift from Santa but because Love is the best gift you can give anyone.
It is amazing how much that has helped change their focus.
Oh don't get me wrong, my kids still ask for toys... A LOT of toys,
BUT they also know why we give gifts and that the cost and amount received doesn't matter really.

We also listen to the Forgotten Carols by Michael Mclean.
What a power story and songs to have as a tool to help us remember the real reason for the Christmas season.
I have a few of my favorites that just make me feel better and remind me of the true meaning of the season.
You truly need to listen and everything from the beginning as it is an amazing story that has a stern nurse and crazy old man.
Something for everyone really.
I thought I would end this late night post with a share of one of the songs from The Forgotten Carols.
Check out the other ones as well, but this just goes along with what my little head is not letting me shut down for now.
Here is I Can Not Find My Way. 

No comments: