Thursday, March 18, 2010

How to make the Princess Scarf


So a few posts back I mentioned how I had made scarves and tutu's for Claudia's Princess Tea Party to give to the guests instead of goody bags. I also mentioned how easy and cheap they are to make. Now the funny thing is the stuff I made sell in the stores for $20 and I made them for less than $1! They are called torn fabric scarves at the art shop and I did do a change up in how to make them so that they are more kid friendly. And the best part they only take minutes to make with no sewing (as that is not one of my talents.. but I may try it again some day)


Anyways you start by heading to your local dollar store and picking out of this cool, funky wool. Pick out a few colors and varieties to make it fun.


Measure the length you need by taking yourself, or the little one you are doing it for and stretch out from one hand to the other. It may seem long but when your done it will be the perfect length.

Cut yourself a minimum of 4 strands and up to 8 of each of the colors you want to end up with 20-24 strands of different colors and textures to work with.

now mix them all up a little bit before you gather the strands into one big group.


Now this is where I vary from the "Pro" made scarves and my kid friendly ones, they took one of the colors of wool and would cut a small piece that you wrap around and tie everything together with.. hazard, the strand can be pulled out! So instead find the middle point and tie a knot. It has the exact same look and is a lot more safe for the little ones.


Go about a 1/3 of the way down on both sides and tie 2 more knots. This helps it be a little more secure as well as helping the scarf to keep it's shape and not get as tangled during storage.


That's it! Find your little princess and let her play. Claudia loves her so much that I couldn't even get her to look at the camera.

No comments: