Tuesday, July 13, 2010

What's For Brunch?



So I have been playing around with achieving a really shallow depth of field lately when taking pictures and took some of the brunch we had yesterday so I thought I would blog about it. The pictures aren't that great but I had fun and love some of the effects I figured out how to create.

So Brunch was suppose to be breakfast but as I decided to get a little more ambitious than normal it ended up being a brunch that we really enjoyed. It sure gave Sam happy eyes (picture above). I had stopped by my favorite fruit stand a couple of days ago and stocked up on some of our favorite goodies. last minute we decided it would be yummy to take some of those goodies and make then in to YUMMY fruit syrup to accompany the waffles I decided to make yesterday. Here's the quick, easy recipe for fruit Syrup that I use.

1 cup fruit*
3/4 cup sugar

1/3 cup water

Cook fruit with sugar and water until thick (Boil for about 5 minutes is what I do and then it cool. Most times that is perfect.. with the cherries I find I need and extra couple of minutes). Smash fruit while cooking.
This makes a nice chunky, yummy topping to pancakes or waffles, or filling for crepes.... my kids love it on ice cream as well.

We made Cherry and Peach yesterday.


We also made a basic Maple syrup as Josh isn't a fan of fruit syrups... yeah I know he is a weird kid but I am sure if I keep making them he will come around ;) He loves making it at home because he likes to experiment with the flavours we can create. Here is the very simple and easy recipe I have used my whole life for making home made syrup.

1 cup brown sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp maple flavoring ( or any other you may feel like we used maple nut from Watkins)

Combine everything in a small pot and bring to a boil then while stirring regularly boil for about 7 minutes or until it coats your spoon nice. Remember it will thicken as it cools.

(this is my favorite photo from yesterday... just loved the way it turned out)

Next we made the Yummy Waffles. That is Tommy's new favorite food and a word he has worked really hard to say. It is sooo cute watching try to say his L's. Here is the simple waffle recipe we used yesterday. I do have one that is a lot more involved that is fluffier but really with 6 hungry kids who were already waiting because of making 3 syrups I am not going to spend 20 minutes whipping egg whites ect. his simple one is almost as good and only take 5 minutes to put together. ( I triple this recipe for my family)

Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter

1 1/2 cup flour

1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Pinch of salt

2 tablespoons sugar

1 1/2 cup milk

2 eggs

Directions

Preheat waffle iron and read manufacturer's instructions. Melt butter in microwave. In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In another bowl, beat together milk and eggs. Whisk liquid mixture into dry ingredients until just combined. Stir in melted butter. Brush hot waffle iron with butter. Spoon about 1/2 cup of batter onto iron and close to cook. This first waffle will be the tester. Cook waffle until golden brown. Remove to plate and keep warm *you can play around with flavours with this recipe and create anything you want with it.. it is really nice*


We finished completed this brunch with some fried ham slices and a glass of milk. It had everyone so full that we were good until I made dinner that night. It was a nice treat that we love to enjoy in the summer.. having a really big brunch. It's always harder to do this when school is in. What did you have for breakfast today or did you treat you and your family to a yummy brunch as well?


2 comments:

Terisa's Space said...

ooohhhh yummy breakfast... I will have to do that with Abbi one of these soon days... it looks good and the pics were good as well. Nice views and effects. Definitely made everything look yummier!

Terisa's Space said...

By the way, I have to say I LOVE Sam's happy eyes!!