Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Grandma's Wisdom

So I have been blessed in my life to know all of my Grandma's and even some of my great Grandmother's.
This is something I took for granted when younger. I did not realize then how many people never get to meet these amazing people. I spent time with mine, learned card games from some, crafting things from others. I LOVED visiting my grandparents. They always were so excited to spend time with me and reminded me how special I was. They are the reason I strive to make other people know their worth as well when I can.
They all have imparted to me some wisdom along the way in one form or another and I try to share that with my kids as they grow up and is part of the reason I become involved with Heritage Makers. So I have started working on some Heritage Books that will help me share this wisdom with my kids and maybe even remind some of those family members out there what these amazing Ladies have past on to us. I have been focusing on my Grandma Derkson right now as she inspired much of what I live by today. She shared with me often the mistakes she had done and the wisdom she learned from those mistakes. When we were little we would get to spend our birthdays with her and I loved learning a new skill every time I went. It was a tradition I missed when we moved too far way from her to do it anymore.
When we got older she started giving us gifts that shared her talents and wisdom with us and I treasure these items. Even to this day I still pull out little stories or saying that she has given me along the way that help with challenges I face.
So the other day as I was struggling with my fears over going to church, and the fears of others I pulled out a little book she gave out to everyone at Christmas in 1999. It is a book of lessons she had learned through her then 66 years of life. Reading it is what gave me the strength to admit my fears and to have the power to face everyone else's fears. So today I would like to share that little section with you.

"Controlling yourself is more important than controlling others.

  I discovered early in life that other people always think they know exactly what you should be doing, when you should be doing it and how you should be doing it.  The problem is that if you listen to ten different friends, they will each tell you something different, but when it comes time to take the consequences of what you do, it is you who must take them, whether you have listened to your friends or not. Be careful who you listen to.
     On the other side of the fence, it seems really easy to see exactly what everyone else should be doing, when they should be doing it and how they should be doing it. Trying to force others to follow your map for them is what causes contention between people, in families, wars between countries and much misery in the world.
     The truth is we never really know what is in the heart and soul of others and this is why the Lord has cautioned us to be careful in our judgment of others.
     Controlling ourselves is much more difficult than controlling others. We make excuses and exceptions for ourselves that we would never make for someone else.
     'Now these are the words which Jesus taught his disciples that they should say unto the people, Judge not unrighteously, that ye not be judged: but judge righteous judgment. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged; and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again.' Matthew 7:1-2"

Yep she inspires me, I am so grateful to still have her words to give me strength even though she is not living here on earth anymore. I can still give my kids her wisdom like she is standing right here.

And now since a Blog is not the same without a picture.. I present to you the picture for the day. Even plants and trees do their own thing and don't always do what others think they should do. It creates something beautiful


1 comment:

Terisa's Space said...

I have also discovered her words but unfortunately they are lost in your garage for the time being... unless they are one of the things Krysti took without my permission. I miss my mother... sometimes I wish I could talk to her.