Friday, September 16, 2011

Speaking of Inspiration

Being a mother of 6 AMAZING kids presents its self with many different dilemmas everyday.

There is many , many great songs out there that are written and performed by people who want to share their faith. But These great songs are not played on the radio station or listened to by many kids at school. When going to dances you are not going to hear Michael McLean's "His Hands" played so we, as parents, need to be aware of the other music out in the world and make sure our children know those songs that come along that are just as inspiring but is out there in the general public.

When my kids were little they discovered my Bon Jovi collection an fell in love with his music. So when he came out with the song "It's My Life" I used that to enforce with my kids that they are saying it's OK to say no to drugs, and alcohol, and the many other things in this life that others may want you to do that you know are wrong. It is Your Life and you have the right to choose the way you want to live it. Now I have head strong kids that make presentations to their classes on how they hate smoking and alchol and they are proud to be who they are. It also means they stand up against me when I tell them they have to do something they don't want to do. I try to remember that it is not necessarily bad but that I need to point out that good and bad choices have consequences... good and bad ones.

Now I have a couple of kids who have people, friends I told, telling them that they are not worth anything. They pick on them and ignore them and it breaks my heart because I know how they feel and no matter how many times I tell them they are worth so much more than even I know because they are Heavenly Fathers children, they hurt inside. So I was grateful the day I turned on the radio and there was Katy Perry, a musician who is a role model in so many kids eyes singing the song "Firework". Now I don't nessarely like most of her songs or what they stand for but I admire her courage to be who she is and I LOVE this song that tells our youth it is ok to stand out for who you are. It doesn't matter what ANYONE else says, your are a firework and you need to let it shine. I play these 2 songs in the morning now before they head off to school so they remember these things as they go to face the day against these "friends" (who I have said are not real friends if they treat you this way).

So as I get ready to start a new day today with my kids I thought I would share these songs with you. And also to say THANK-YOU to all my amazing friends who accepted me for who I am... faults and all. I truly love you all.


1 comment:

Terisa's Space said...

I have to admit I get upset when I hear someone telling a child they are worth nothing. Everyone, good or not, has a worth. Everyone, whether they believe it or not, has a talent, something they can do better than anyone else. In some cases it's simply standing up for what they believe in... in others it's crafts... in others it may be music... but EVERYONE has a talent and a worth. I am amazed by what ALL of my grandkids can do. I am constantly amazed by their talents, their abilities, their uniqueness and by their amazing personalities. Please, my grandchildren, do NOT believe anyone who says you are less than you are. I am proud of each and every one of you for who you are. You are so special and worth so much, never let anyone tell you differently! I love you.