Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Day 25: Gross



Day 25

So my day had an early start to it.
Tommy woke me up at 3:17 with a jump.
He comes up beside me and, in a loud whisper, says “Mom I think I have lice, my head is itchy”
After I got over the scare of being woken up, I get creeped out.
There is one family, a couple of my kids are friends with, that seems to send these little monsters back to my house about 70% of the time.
We have lessened the visits but they are good people, not sure why they seem to have such a problem with this.
Just the thought of lice sends my head into complete fits of itching.
It is bad right now while I type this.
I know it is psychological, but that doesn’t stop it from happening.
The older kids like to use that to bug me on days they are bored.
I do love them.
Anyway, I send Tommy back to bed and write the day off as a home day while we inspect everyone.
Only two kids were found with any but I still treat everyone that will let me.
Ben and Josh don’t let me anymore unless they have them.
I don’t use any of those chemical fixes out there.
I find they eat away at the skin and leave my kids with soars all over their head.
I also find they don’t work most of the time.
Let’s face it people, lice, like other bugs, are getting resistant to all these chemicals.
So I go old fashioned and it works.
You see, they still need to breath and if you prevent that from happening, they die.
How you are asking?
I use cheap conditioner from the dollar store and plastic bags.
Each person gets their hair saturated in the conditioner and then covered in the plastic bag.


We stay like this for an entire day.
We bag and wash whatever clothes and bedding we need to, which is usually a lot with our family size.
That night we use a nit comb to take it all out.
It takes forever, but the hatched bugs are dead and easy to get, while the conditioner loosens up the eggs so they slide on out.
The next day we do a check over again to make sure we got everything.
Actually I check hair everyday for almost 2 weeks afterwards to make sure they don’t come back.
95% of the time they are gone the first time.
The only times they have required a second treatment is when I haven’t left the conditioner in long enough.
The kids are good sports about it for the most part but they are so happy at the end of the day when the bags are off and hair is washed.


My skin will still be crawling for the next 2 weeks until I know they are gone for sure.

No comments: