Saturday, January 9, 2016

Day 8: Struggle

Day 8

So this post is actually going to published a day late because of when I took the picture.
As I mentioned in a previous post, Sam writes a movie review blog entitled Sam's Slap.
He has a great interest in movies because they show people and their interactions.
Plus, it is fun to watch them in general.
The review part comes as a way for him to work towards understanding the world around him, so he can be more comfortable in it.
He has grown so much from that little boy who would only live in his own world.
However, this is a struggle for him to do.
He loves doing it, please understand that, but he really has to work hard to do these.
His latest review for the new Star Wars movie (found here) is a prime example of his troubles.
He started out really well writing the review.
One of his best starts yet, but then society happened and he ended up in a stand off with his brain.
You see, when he writes a review he has developed a pattern of starting with a brief synopsis of the beginning of the movie, and then He heads into his thoughts.
After seeing some online stuff about “No Spoilers”, then add some first situations with fans not wanting spoilers and how angry they can get, He couldn’t keep writing.
It wasn’t that he didn’t want to, he just couldn’t.
He would sit for hours staring at the computer screen looking at what he already wrote.
I knew what was going on and had my own struggle to make with this.
Do I tell him it is ok to skip this review because of his troubles with it, or make him work through it so he can see he is able to over come it?
I chose to make him work through it.
This made me the EVIL mother, worse person ever!!
I told him that I would not take him to another movie until he finished the review for this one.
It is his blog, why am I making him do this?
The internal pain, that of course I can not show, was horrible.
Weeks!
This took him 3 weeks to write from when he saw the movie.
Typically, it is only 3-4 days for him to work it through in his head.
So now we have a new movie out that the city is all a buzz with because a local actress is in it.
He really wants to go see this one and give his thoughts.
I stand by my decision, if the current one is not finished he does not get to go.
How can I be so mean??
Well, he worked through it.
Hours still of staring at the screen and a few upset moments, but he did it.
So the picture, actually 2 pictures, are ones I took with my cell so it wasn’t distracting, of him working through his issue with this blog post.
Hopefully I will not be on the "Worse Mother Ever" list for too long. 



1 comment:

HeavenScent said...

Good for sticking to your guns! What he learned amoungst many other things, was perserverance, that tough things help you grow and learn so ,Ich about yourself, and that, at the end of the day, he has a HUGE sense of accomplishment, and that will add many rungs to the self esteem ladder! When he is about 25-30, he will realize you are THE BEST MOM EVER for sticking to your resolve, and making him do it. Way to go both of you! ������