Sunday, January 11, 2009

Day 6

So today I woke-up not feeling so well. I thought it must be because I was tired so I laid back down while my hubby attempted to watch the kids and let me sleep (the darn kids have sneaky ways of getting past dad and still coming into the room for all sorts of reasons... gotta love them). This caused me not to eat breakfast on time and when I got up I was still feeling like I was fighting against the sandman just to peek my eyes open so I grabbed a quick oatmeal bar and called it done. As the day progressed I was hoping to feel better but I have come to think that I might be catching one of the many colds the kids carry home with them from school. So my wonderful family did most of the cooking and the kids as wonderful as they are brought me snacks so that I would feel better. It started out as not being to bad but by the days end when my dinner was 11 points for just the casserole and that did not include any veggies on the side and I had very few points left I realized that being sick and losing weight don't really go hand in hand. I also realized how many junk food snacks we have in the house without planning it. Mike is the type of person who can eat and eat and eat and never gain a pound so he eats what he wants and the kids are the same way. So I guess I never really thought about what I bought and had stored in the house. So many of the kids snacks that w grab for school have so much sugar in them and of course I love to bake so I almost always have a stock of cookies or something on hand. We have have a lot of dear friends who like to help us out so they drop off snacks and baked goods as well. as a matter of fact I have been killing myself this week trying to not dive into the box of Nanaimo bars in the freezer that the school gave us when it was donated to them from Costco. So take all that and what do you get when your family ( 10 year old and under) want to take care of you... a day that goes way over your points and doesn't quite fill in the veggie quota for the day. So now I guess I also need to begin a process of changing over all the foods in the house, and I think at the same time a lotof my favorite recipes (like my cookies) so that not only and I'm eating healthier but the whole family is. Maybe by doing this the kids will have a better chance of never having to go through what I am right now, especially little Claudia, and they will have better lives when they are grown. So tomorrow I will pick a small section of the snacks and take out what is not great and look up and write on my grocery list an alternative and I will work on fixing one recipe. Hmmmmm maybe if I plan to fix a recipe every couple of days and post them here, by the time I am done this program I will have a whole book worth of recipes that I can share with my friends and family for gifts. I guess this will also make me more concious of what I am cooking because for te most part I am a throw together kinda cook, so we have never really had many meals the same way twice. Mike is going to love this idea because it frustrates him when he goes to make one of his favorite foods that I cook and can't because there is no recipe to follow. I think tomorrow I will start with my cookies though. I am an Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookie fanatic and I truely believe mine are the best so to take that and make it healthier and still be great will be a fun challenge and a great way to keep my self from feeling deprived while I go through this change. Yep that is my plan for tomorrow... that and extra exercise from todays fall down.

3 comments:

angel56 said...

Hi Dee how are now I hope you are better. I hope you can come over to the CN Center tommorrow.
Love SG
Angel56

angel56 said...

Hi Dee I hope you are feeling better today! I have a hard time mwhen I am at work. About bringing my WW stuff with me and sometimes I eat the things that I should not eat. I HOPE you can make it to the center tommorrow!
Love SG

DeeMomof6 said...

I am so glad that we were able together and walk yesterday and I look forward to this being a great daily activity.